An expat's adventures in Scotland, from the author of The Armchair Anglophile

Friday, May 25, 2012

Weather Wise

I've been here two weeks, and I feel like I've experienced every season. Granted, this has been a freaky year for weather everywhere (a couple of locals have told me that this May has been more like January), but Edinburgh tends to have rather odd weather at the best of times, and you have to be prepared for that.

Take today, for instance. When I woke up and looked out the window, this is what I saw:


Two hours later, this is what that looked like:


Last week, it was about 40 degrees, windy, and rainy. Yesterday it was 70, not a cloud in the sky. The weather is changeable up here, so if you're visiting or coming to live, keep a few things in mind:

1. On any given day, there's about a 90% chance of rain, no matter what the forecast says. It might just be a light mist, like we had this morning, or a brief shower from a single passing cloud, but there's a decent chance you're going to run into some precipitation, so bring a raincoat and an umbrella along.

2. Temps are variable. Like I said, 40 one day, 70 another. You can't predict it. When I first got here, I was coming from Atlanta, Georgia, where it was fairly reliably about 80 degrees every single day. The clothes I brought along were woefully inadequate and I found myself making an emergency trip to the shops for a coat, hat, and gloves. Luckily I found them. Don't get caught the way I did--bring clothing for every weather type or risk either freezing or sweating through your day. Neither is pleasant.

3. Be adaptable. Don't complain about the weather here. You've been fairly warned, and there are plenty of glorious, sunny days (like yesterday and, now, today!). Put your umbrella up, slap on some gloves, and take refuge in a cool shop, free museum, or funky coffeeshop if you get caught in a gale or a downpour. They happen, adjust accordingly and put it down as an adventure.

Now, I'm off to enjoy the afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment